Are you new to the surface, and worried about how can I connect my Bluetooth mouse to my surface?
Well, we have noticed a lot of people in the same boat!
Don’t worry, we have brought the easiest way to help our readers with the query.
The surface rolled out on May 2nd, 2017, along with the launch of the Microsoft Surface Laptop. The mouse has been a very innovative launch, because of its slim and minimal design. It comes in various colors including cobalt blue, light grey, and burgundy. It is one of the best ergonomic mice that you can lay your hands on.
The mouse consumes Bluetooth 4.0/4.1 – low energy version to stay connected with the desktop or laptop. So you have to be assured that your system has a powerful Bluetooth connection system. Also, be assured that your system does support Bluetooth LE 4.0.
Let’s see, how a Bluetooth mouse to the surface can be connected:
- Turn on the mouse by bending it into a snap curve shape.
- Press and retain the press for good 5 seconds. During this time, the laser light will begin to blink. It keeps on blinking until the device is paired.
- Now, on your system go to the Action Center icon. Either you can press and hold it for a considerable time. Or, right-click on the Bluetooth button. This will pop up an option of “Go to Settings”, click on that.
- A new window will appear. From there, click on “Add Bluetooth or other devices”.
- Now click on “Bluetooth”,
- The next window will appear. Choose “Surface Arc Mouse”
- Select “Done”,
You have successfully connected the Bluetooth mouse to the surface.!
In case, if you encounter any problems with connecting, you may try running a Bluetooth troubleshooter.
That is pretty simple!
This is how it can be done:
- Go on the start menu, and choose “Settings”,
- From the settings, go to “Update & Security”,
- After that, select “Troubleshoot”,
- You’ll see a “Find and Fix Other Problem” option, click that,
- Choose “Bluetooth” from there,
- And then finally “Run The Troubleshooter”
If still, the connection fails, try connecting it on other devices and see if the problem still exists. However, make sure that the mouse visibility is turned on, and it is visible on the devices. Sometimes users forget to switch on the visibility, resulting in rummaging around with the problem. Moreover, sometimes due to low battery, the devices refuse to connect with Bluetooth efficiently. In such cases, be certain that your laptop is fully charged.
If you are totally new to Surface touch mice and do not know how to install batteries in them, this guide will help you!
You must know, there are two types of surface mice; i.e. the wedge mouse, and Arc touch mouse.
- For the wedge mouse, press and retain the battery door until it opens.
- Slip in the new AA batteries, according to the indication of the diagram. Close the doors.
- If the batteries are correctly inserted, a blue light will begin to glow. This indicates that the battery has been inserted rightly.
Arc Touch Mouse:
- Apply a little force on the battery door and release the pressure when the door opens,
- Slip in new AAA batteries, as per the instructions of the diagram. Then close the doors.
- Now bend the mouse, and wait till it is turned on
Besides the low battery, and visibility not being turned on, there can be a couple of reasons which might be causing hindrance in the connection. The reasons go unseen, people freak out, thinking the device is outdated.
Outdated Drivers: Outdated surface mouse drivers can drive problems in the connection. You need to be pretty sure that the drivers are up-to-date.
Batteries: Apart from low laptop charging, an old pair of batteries can also be a reason why the connection goes through problems.
Problematic Dongle: If the mouse has a poor USB dongle, chances are that your mouse might suffer connectivity issues.
Outdated Windows OS: Expired or outdated Windows OS can be a major reason why the system suffers connectivity issues.
Damaged Mouse: Sometimes, the mouse has been damaged or have lost the capability to function. In such cases, the connection between the devices may fail.
Fragile Wireless Connection: A weak wireless connection can do disaster to the connection between both devices.
Other than connecting the Bluetooth mouse to the surface, there are a few other problems too that are encountered with the system. A few of them are listed below:
Touchpad not working: In case if the surface touchpad doesn’t work, try updating the touchpad drivers. Besides this, you can hard restart the system by pressing the power button for 10 to 12 seconds. This will most probably resolve the problem. If not, go to the hardware shop.
Keyboard not working: Firstly, check if the pairing is done correctly or not. Because people tend to hassle up while pairing the devices. If pairing submits you a good report, try updating the drivers. Even if then it doesn’t work, replace the keyboard with a new one.
Devices are connected, but not working: If despite being connected, the devices refuse to work, try rebooting the Microsoft device. This has helped a lot of people. However, even if then it does not work – unpair the devices, and repair both of them again.
Microsoft wireless mouse 5000 in operational: If this problem occurs, firstly remove the USB dongle and insert it again. If that doesn’t work, run Bluetooth Troubleshooter to know the problem, and resolve it.
Microsoft Surface is one of the best launches by the company. It gives the best user experience to the users. Despite the company trying its best to maintain standards, but minor problems can always occur.
The occurred problems can always be resolved. We have tried our best to cover maximum problems that can occur with the product. We hope, the fixes will help you to resolve the problems.
Let us know if the above-shared fixes helped you out, or not.
If you know some other hacks, techniques, and fixes, do share them with other readers.
Abdullah Tariq, co-founder of RoadMice is a web developer par excellence. He is an avid gamer too and is well-versed with computer accessories required for playing various titles. He is highly adventurous and loves hiking on difficult terrains in his home country whenever time permits him.